Co-Conspirators

August 08, 2007

Sinking Ship (or Everything Was Going According To Plan When...)

I've dubbed it 'The Sinking Ship'...the rear tire clearance looks more like a track frame, seatpost size should be 27.2, but seems a bit smaller, issues with the Singulator....I've started putting together a single-speed cyclocross bike for the upcoming season. Had Jimmy from Black Magic Bikes retro an old road frame that I have to work as a cross rig. Started hanging parts on it tonight. The bb / cranks went smooth as snot. For all the road rides I did in the rain on my old road bike, the bb has little to no corrosion and is still smooth. Super stoked. Then I tried to hang the Surly Singulator...that's when things went wrong.

After fucking with the Singulator's return spring (swapped out the 'pushing down' spring for the 'pushing up' spring) for a good 30mins (I had to actually bend the spring end so it would match up with the hole it seats in...what a bitch!) I hung the part on the frame only to discover that the clamp bolt that adjusts the chainline position of the jockey wheel was stripped! Fuck! I pulled it off the frame and took the bolt out to see how bad the threads were. I could only laugh out loud when all the threads removed themselves along with the bolt. Spare fucking parts. If only I knew where my digital camera was, I could take a picture of all the carnage to share. Good thing my other parts order goes in tomorrow so I can slap another Singulator on there. Then I get to stay after work to disassemble my rear Campy shifter to figure out what the fuck isn't fully engaging and making shifting downright inaccurate and miserable. Maybe I should sell off a few bikes and alleviate some of the issues.....hmmmm. (Of course I'm joking!)

3 comments:

dougyfresh said...

hmm... that isn't the singulator i'm thinking of, is it? if so, then my buddy in maine is at fault. he had it last.

it'll all come together and the x-bike will be kickass!

It's me, AV! said...

You said the F word 4 times in that posting! Can we please keep it PG for the kiddies?

It's me, AV! said...

If your bike is called the "Sinking Ship" I'm dubbing mine the "Shelf Life". Gotta love a cheap, out of the box cross bike. Can't wait to beat the snot out of it!