Co-Conspirators

November 17, 2006

Track Misnomers.....

I have these two bikes that I love to ride. One is an old road frame that's been converted to a fixed-gear. The other is a full-on track bike. Both are so different but have their purpose. The converted fixed is my commuter, great old steel frame, full fenders, relaxed, old-school touring geometry. The track bike is a super-light alloy frame, steep track geometry, carves turns, and accelerates like a demon! Both have their place in my stable of bikes.

Lately, I've been hearing some things through the grapevine about track and fixed gear bikes that are pretty erroneous. Unfounded statements that exist only through non-participation. Things like, "Track bikes? Oh, those things will mess up your knees....". Impracticallity, trendy-ness, etc... I'm not writing here to defend why I ride these bikes, or to argue why I think you should try them. Not meaning to be rude, but I could really give two shits about your opinion of me based on what I choose to ride. I'm commenting on these notions because I'm really tired of hearing them. It's all (in my humble opinion) garbage that I've heard countless times before, just like everyone else who rides fixed. These ideas are tired and seem to be endlessly regurgitated for no good reason despite the countering arguments.

I guess what I'm trying to say is before you talk shit or spread unfounded ideas about something you know nothing about (whether it be bikes or non-cycling related ideas), stop and think about what you're saying. It's really disheartening to hear something that I love so much talked about in such a negative and uneducated manner. One thing that I've learned working at a bike shop in the past year is that everyone buys a bike for a different reason. What does it matter if you picked your bike because you think it looks hot, or it has the best component group for the price, or it makes you faster, or it takes you back to your youth? The only thing that matters is you ride. Frequently, every day, once in a while, whatever! Riding (again in my humble opinion) should be fun! That's why we started doing it in the first place. Reguardless of whether riding a fixed-gear is trendy or not, the bottom line is that it's getting more people on bikes. I think that's something that we can all agree is a great idea!

1 comment:

rideTYRANT.com said...

I totally disagree with your blog posting and will fight you to the death in a battle of bicycle jousting to defend my beliefs. Track bikes are trendy, they hurt my knee, and brakes or no brakes...they scare me! SOOT in your shin!