Co-Conspirators

September 15, 2005

Updates, Updates, Updates!!!

So here we are. I've got lots to fill you in on so heeeeere we go!
Ghettodrome Pt I
-I went down to Ghettodrome two weeks ago for the first time. A bunch of track and fixed riders find spaces to race each other around only turning left (just like a velodrome). Throw in the fact that we're sneaking into these places, generally aren't supposed to be there, and have to deal with things like broken glass, avoiding the Fuzz, and not being able to see really well at all times, and you have the ghetto part. We run races like they do on a track, Miss-and-Out (Devil-Take-The-Hindmost or Elimination), Match Sprints, Scratch, and Pursuit. Fun stuff. Everyone who races is super mellow and just great folks to hang out, ride and race with. This week in particular we snuck into a high school track and ran the races there. The track was amazing, super grippy and nice even turns. There was no lighting so it was pitch black, save for when cars were passing by and the red lights we wore on our backs to keep from rear-ending each other. Good times.

Hartford Hardcore Alleycat.
-Last Saturday I raced in the Hartford messenger race. Super fun again! There were 5 of us who wound up racing together as a team. Karp, Linden, Karp's buddy from work, and even The Fuse showed up to throw down! He swung by with his wife and new bundle of joy who seemed happy just taking in all of the strange looking dirtbags with bikes that surrounded him. The route had us going all over the Hartford area from the hospital in Blue Hills, to the eastern part on Service Road, to the Whethersfield/Hartford line. Good times riding fast through traffic with friends is what its all about. At the end, I threw down my $5 to get in on the trackstand action. Out of 7 I was the 4th one out. Was super pissed at myself cause I know I could definitely give everyone else a run for their money no handed but my legs were so burned (just like everyone else, I know) I lost it. The next alleycat is in New Haven on Devil's Night. My chance to redeem myself.

Ghettodrome Pt II
-This past Monday my buddy Pat accompanied me to check out the race scene with me. We raced around Ikea parking lot. Much different than the previous week's track. The turns were WAAAAAAY tighter than what the track was like. I wound up pedal scraping and having to turn wide on most of the turns. Definitely not the safest thing. Not being able to keep a line is death for anyone else trying to out pace and pass. On the last race, Pat and I were running a Match Sprint. Best 2 of 3. He took the first race and on the second race, serious injury just barely grazed past my being. On the second to last turn I saw Pat accelerating and I knew that I had to lay it all out to be able to go to the tie breaker. I pushed with all I had, took the turn too hard and pedal struck like a motherfucker! All I remember is sitting bolt upright, taking one foot out of the clip and turning off my thinking. My muscle memory totally took over my body and straightened by bike out and gave me control of the bike again, letting me swerve and miss the carrage return by mere feet. Upon reaching the finish line, I was greeted with 'Holy crap, you OK?' 'Nice save!' Needless to say, it was the closest I want to be to wrecking at full speed on my fixed. I don't know how I saved it. Must have had a guardian angel (or two) looking out for me that night. Shorter cranks have been ordered and will be a welcome addition to my fixed for racing. I don't think I'll be able to race this coming Monday due to the logisitics of the order, but I'm considering shooting some film and video of the races.
That's about it. If anyone is interested in racing their track bike on Mondays please let me know and I'll set a space aside in the car for you. Oh yeah! Tony Tyrant and I rode some street tonight. Go check out his blog to see some of the photos he took while we were out.
Ride Fast! Ride Hard!

No comments: