Co-Conspirators

December 13, 2004

New Adventures!

Been busy lately....lots of stuff to cover so let's get down to it!
Went to an artsy fartsy art show @ UConn on Sat night with G-Rock and her boyfriend B-Money. Got to see some DJ's and some shitty hardcore bands. Shot some photos of stuff. I did see one great band though. For as young as they were they rocked! They call themselves White Mountain and rock instrumental stuff. A trio composed of 2 guitarists, and a drummer. Kinda had elements of Hot Water Music and Fugazi with a lot of originality. Crazy time changes and really, really good tempo shifts along with a great sense of dynamics too. In short, they rocked the fuckin hizouse!!! And they were so damn young too! If you ever get the chance to check these dudes out, please do. You won't be disappointed!

Enter Sunday. My first day out snowboarding this season. Decided to go with a couple of bros from work. Joe, Pat and Clark were in for the day as well. I was threatened by Joe and Pat that they would show up at my apartment @ 3AM totally hammered and cause a ruckus. I didn't really take it seriously but was kinda afraid. I went to the friendly neighborhood supermarket and purchased 30 eggos, eggs, and juice to tame a couple of druken snowboarders half hoping they weren't really serious. The other half really wanted to see what would happen.

....the clock ticks to 1AM.....

My cel phone rings and I groggily answer. "Thank you for calling, this is Matt speaking", comes from the other end. I pause for a second recognizing Joe's voice. But sounding strangely sober. "Dude, which one are you in? I've been knocking on your neighbor's windows but I can't find your apartment!" I bolt up to the door and let them in as they laugh hysterically at the circumstances. After loudly discussing why they weren't drunk and sorting out the sleeping arrangements, everyone falls asleep. I get up at 3:30AM and start making everyone breakfast. I decide that @ 4AM they've slept long enough. Disco lights and screaming is an awesome way to wake up. After eggos, facon, and eggs, Joe proclaims that I've won Den Mother of the year award, we split to the local 7-11 for coffee, scare the cashier, and meet up with Clark. Props to Pat for driving and putting up with all of us acting like 6 year-olds singing the whole way.

We get up to Slo-kemo, unload, and unleash. Riding highlights include the guest services guy saying to me 'You have work with those guys everyday?', all of us acting 7 for the entire day, me falling off the chair while unloading for the first run, Clark stabbing Joe's board and foot EVERY time he got off a lift, Pat and I getting yelled at for 'jumping' (ollies) in 'no-jumping zones' by ski patrol, Clarking taking me out from behind, lunchtime baffoonary, me holding onto Pat for dear life while unloading to keep from getting dropped again, burying my nose at least 5x, Clark and Pat doing their 'antler approach', me clearing a 3-4 foot mud gap to icy face plant right under the lift and bleeding from the nose and lip last run. All in all it was a great day. We drove home listening to some old-school hip-hop that I hadn't heard in ages. Stopped in Amherst [sp?] at Newbury Comics to do a bit of rummaging. If you don't have Nighthawks At The Diner by Tom Waits I highly suggest that you pick it up. Got some burritos @ the Cha's in Northhampton. I think that's the last time that I dine there. It used to be super cool but every since they sold out the quality and atmosphere has gone down. Jacked their prices up again (I think). Then headed home. Good times. Can't wait to ride with my lady on Thursday. Hoping to commute to work tomorrow even though I need to get up early.
Stumbled upon a great website this morning. Check it: gobybicycle.com. That's it! Should have some new photos up in the next couple of days as soon as I get some of the negatives scanned and prep'd. Let me know what you're all up to. Peace!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yo homeboy
dis is G-rock. Getcho den mother ass to the other side a da illville. Fo shizzle chek out my mamadroppin self on monday nites 10 to midnite on da station identification.

hey matt! drag me to some boarding fests soon!

hearts, G